3.31.2008

Gah! or Miseries of a Modern World


I just wasted half an hour performing a theatrical masterpiece for a disinterested Indian on the other side of the world.
This is maybe the 3rd time that I've accidently paid the wrong account on Internet Billpay through my bank.
The problem really is that my husband and I each have accounts at several stores, and they are listed with the store name, and the last 4 digits of the account number on my roster of creditors, not our names.
So, I have to be careful and check the account numbers each time.
One store even has the last 4 digits the same on both accounts, but I know the 1st one listed is hubby's.
SO! When I pay the wrong account, I get credit on the account with no balance, and a fucking late charge on the bill I meant to pay!
Then, I have to call the company, pretend to be my husband, explain the convoluted thing, get a refund on my late charge (because I never! pay late otherwise), apply the payment made in error to other account, etc.
The whole time, I affect a man's voice-ish, warbling occasionally, and keep correcting the guy every time he calls me Miss.
It's laughable, but I am not paying a $29 late fee for being in a hurry, and silly!
Can I get a witness?

3 comments:

booboo said...

late fees destroy the mind & is the meat of the corporate monster. dont pay, dont pay!

Anonymous said...

Uh...that's MR. Cox to you, okay?

I don't know why this story is so funny to me today - I guess because I am trying to imagine your man voice!

Anonymous said...

You HAVE to call me in your man voice. Hilarious!